Every dog owner should have a basic first aid kit prepared for their dog(s). Having these simple items on hand can save a trip to the vet or a midnight run to a pharmacy. Include one of the following for each kit:
- Hydrogen peroxide (for inducing vomiting and for wound cleaning)
- Epsom Salts (for wound managemant)
- Triple antibiotic ointment
- Buffered aspirin ( 81mg for small dogs, 325mg for dogs 20 pounds or larger)
- Benadryl (diphenhydramine 25mg tablet or capsule) Dogs < 25 lbs: 1/2 tablet (12.5mg), Dogs 25-50 lbs: 1 tablet (25mg), Dogs > 50 lbs: start with 1 tablet, if ineffective give another tablet. No matter the size of the dog, the dosing schedule is every 8-12 hrs.
- Coflex or Ace bandage
- Hydrocortisone ointment and an antifungal ointment.
- A proper-fitting muzzle. When a dog is injured, it doesn’t matter how much they love you. They’re in pain and will bite.
Unless you already know the doses, be sure to check with your vet before using anything orally. Also, be sure to let your vet know if you are using aspirin for your dog in case there may be the risk of an adverse drug reaction or bleeding problems associated with its use.